Sony Alpha a6400 / 18-135mm Kit
Compare pricesfrom 6+ offers
- CURRENT PRICE $1,716.86
- LOWEST PRICE $1,599.99
- HIGHEST PRICE $1,731.14
Sony Alpha A6400 / 18-135mm Kit Review
The 3-Minute Sony Alpha a6400 Review
Iconic Styling on a Modern Platform
By Graeme Messina | April 27, 2019
Features & Design: 4/5 ● Performance: 4/5 ● Value: 4/5 ● Sound Quality 4/5
This is a next generation compact digital camera that promises a lot of features and quality for the price point. Sony Alpha a6400 Mirrorless Camera: Compact APS-C Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with Real-Time Eye Auto Focus, 4K Video, Flip Screen & 16-50mm Lens - E Mount Compatible.
Is it for you?
The Sony Alpha a6400 is a stable, fast, versatile, and compact Camera. The APS-C-format mirrorless camera adopts many of the features normally reserved for their full-frame lineup. This includes an autofocus acquisition of 0.02 seconds, Real-time Eye AF and Real-time Tracking capabilities, high-speed shooting up to 11 fps and silent shooting up to 8 fps, both with AF/AE tracking, an upgraded BIONZ X image processing engine. The LCD touchscreen tilts 180° up and 74° down. Be sure with the UHD 4K movie recording with full pixel readout and no pixel binning and internal recording for time-lapse videos.
· 24.2MP APS-C Exmor CMOS Sensor
· BIONZ X Image Processor
· Real-Time Eye AF & Real-Time Tracking
· XGA Tru-Finder 2.36m-Dot OLED EVF
· 3.0" 921.6k-Dot 180° Tilting Touchscreen
· SO Sensitivity of 100-32000
· Get a maximum of up to 360 shots when looking through the viewfinder and 410 shots when the LCD monitor is activated.
· A 1.0 cm Color Electronic Viewfinder
· Slow & Fast Motion Recording Functions
· Create Time-Lapse Videos
· S-Log and HLG Video Recording
What we like
We really like the AI Real time eye auto focus future this allows for stable vlogging and steady shots. The processor has been a big step up for this camera as they have taken the chip from the more expensive Sony a9 and crammed it into this compact body. The color science makes the skin tones more realistic and vibrant. The auto focus on the Sony a6400 remain at 425 phase detection but the contrast detection has increased to 425-point coverage and the auto focus is super snappy set at 0.02 0f a second this is one of the best auto focus features out there it also focuses well even with non-Sony lenses allowing for amazing versatility. Then there is the set up of the flip up screen some people have complained and said it should be on the side, but the flip up design is more compact and allows for better vlogging and allows for downwards shots. Interval shooting or time lapses is now internally supported now. The improved menu system is simpler and easier to use and has a main menu function. There are no record limits this allows for continues recording provided you have enough memory and battery. The huge improvement is this camera does not over heat like previous models and seems to be something that has plagued all the Sony A ranges.
What we don’t like
The Sony A6400 has the same battery as the previous models this means that we are not really getting an exceptional battery life per charge.
Should you buy it?
This Sony has features that are new or have been taken form more expensive models. The screen on this camera is non diming giving you a much better experience when recording outside. The new processor allows for better video and the auto white balance means less to worry about in post-production. Vlogging has been made so much easer with this camera and for a much cheaper price it means people who are starting out really have a good basic model to start with.
People also viewed
- The Sony Alpha a6400 / 18-135mm Kit is manufactured by Sony and was added in January 2019 in the Digital Cameras section
- This product has a rating of 4.0 out of 5
- The best price of the Sony Alpha a6400 / 18-135mm Kit in Canada is $1,716.86 at B&H Photo
- In Canada this product is available in Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa-Gatineau
- You can find this product at Best Buy, Henrys, Amazon Canada, B&H Photo, S World Electronics