Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 G
The best price by Amazon Canada
Manufactured by Nikon
- richly detailed
- professional-looking photos. Amazingly silent autofocus. Attractive price.
- No distance meter. Smallish manual-focus ring isn't ideal for DSLR video. Some chromatic aberration or purple fringing. Somewhat undersized lens hood.
Compare pricesfrom 3+ offers
- CURRENT PRICE $259.00
- LOWEST PRICE $259.00
- HIGHEST PRICE $721.00
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm F/1.8 G ReviewThis compact, lightweight lens is perfect for low-light shooting, street photography, travel, and portraits. Lenses such as this, with a fixed focal length, are more commonly referred to as prime lenses. They tend to have better image quality than zoom lenses. This glass is designed for use on Nikon's APS-C (1.5 crop) sensor DSLR bodies, or everything from the D3200 to the D7000 to the D300s. It will mount on a full-frame D700 or D4, but pictures will show significant vignetting, or darkened corners. 35mm on an APS-C sensor is roughly equivalent to 50mm on a full-frame body. For decades this was the focal length of the “standard” lens that came with many film SLRs. It is the focal length that most closely resembles the human field of vision. Since it is an AF-S lens it sports a silent wave motor for quick, accurate and remarkably silent autofocusing. This motor allows it to autofocus on Nikon's entry-level bodies like the D3100, D3200 and D5100. Older Nikon lenses with the AF-D designation have no motors and will need to be manually focused on these newer bodies. The most salient feature of this lens is the bright f/1.8 aperture. This allows for low-light shooting without a flash. It will also let shooters to keep the ISO down or keep the shutter speed up in dim light. The f/1.8 aperture can also result in a shallow depth-of-field for portraits. This means backgrounds are pleasingly blurred, a phenomenon photographers call “bokeh.” Traditionalists will bemoan the lack of a distance scale on the lens, while video shooters who focus manually may not be happy with the small, somewhat rough-feeling focus ring. These issues will not trouble most buyers of this lens, who will rely on autofocus. Pictures taken with the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 are tack sharp, with gobs of detail and faithful color. An aspherical lens element and Nikon's Super Integrated Coating can take the credit for that. There is some purple fringing but it is easily removed in post-processing. At only US$199, this lens is a must-have for any serious Nikon shooter.
People also viewed
- The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 G is manufactured by Nikon and was added in December 2014 in the Camera Lenses section
- This product has a rating of 4.5 out of 5
- The best price of the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 G in Canada is $259.00 at Amazon Canada
- In Canada this product is available in Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa-Gatineau
- You can find this product at Henrys, Amazon Canada