Samsung 250GB 2.5" SSD 840 Series Review
Samsung 250GB 2.5" SSD 840 Series comes as the cheaper alternative to Samsung 840 Pro Series. It employs ultramodern low-cost TLC flash chips in order to keep cost down, while also taking up a good number of the Pro’s performance features. Regular 840 series Solid State Drive (SSD) makes use of three stacked memory-cell layers.
The original flash chips, NAND, utilized single-layer cell (SLC) technology that offered great longevity and outstanding performance. Multi-layer cell (MLC) technology which has come in later on makes it possible having larger capacities as well as lower pricing. Even then, this leads to slight compromise of write speed and overall, shorter lifespan than of initial versions. Since the 840 Series from Samsung features three-layer cell technology, it allows further price reductions, though possibly at the expense of longevity. This is not a significant issue to concern users much as the product comes with warranty of three years. Storage capacities that are available differ subtly to the solid-state technology norm. SSDs normally have binary computing sizes, like 64, 256 and 512GB. Samsung has however engineered in additional over-provisioning, which happens with SSDs through SandForce controllers. It all leaves spare internal housekeeping capacity and for maintaining capacity after some drive areas get unwritable with age. Samsung 250GB 2.5" SSD 840 Series provides 232GB of Windows-available space.
Samsung brings along special Data Migration Tool software to enable users transfer data via Windows. It can aid in copying your old Windows C drive over to the newly-installed Samsung Solid State Drive. This facility should in the long run enable even more personal computer users to store larger amounts of data. This TLC flash chip also has SSD Windows Magician software, which is an all-in-one utility meant to test performance, update software and adjust over-positioning, among other undertakings. Samsung seems to trust Microsoft-based computing in this case, even though Samsung falls short of offering support for any facilities which present with this tool. Samsung 840 Series 250 GB SSD enables booting up of PC within very short time. It also helps you breathe fresh life into a PC that is aging, thereby enhancing application performance and boot speeds. You as well get great energy efficiency with this flash chip, lasting for a battery life maximum of 50 minutes. Samsung also includes the Smart Data Migration software and warranty of three years for your product.
The Samsung SSD 840 series offers worry-free data security having full-disk AES 256-bit encryption and superior multi-tasking performance using 4th-generation 3-Core MDX Controller. Moreover, it obviously boasts 100-percent genuine components from Samsung, which is relevant regarding product quality and technical support. Using it will yield very fast booting process due to the faster nature of SSD data handling. Its smart energy efficiency greatly improves life of battery. The solid-State design also provides better shock protection for brushed metal case and data and blocks corrosion and dust. This unit comes with a Limited Warranty of 3 years from Samsung. 250GB capacity coupled with 96K IOPS random read speeds and SATA 6Gbits/s interface that is backwards compatible with SATA 1.5Gbits/s and SATA 3Gbits/s will make technology aficionados very happy. Its 2.5-inch form factor is also usable with laptop (including netbooks and ultraportables) and Desktop PCS. The internal SSD offers 540 MB/s / 250 M/B/s sequential Read / Write speeds, counts with a 3-Core Samsung MDX Controller, 400Mbps DDR 2.0 NAND Samsung toggle flash memory and has H x W x D dimensions of (0.28 by 2.75 by 3.94) inches.
- Samsung SSD 850 EVO 2.5" SATA III 500GB MZ-75E500B/AM Samsung
- Western Digital WD Blue SSD 500GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s WDS500G1B0A Western Digital
- Western Digital WD Blue SSD 1TB SATA 6Gb/s WDS100T1B0A Western Digital
- Intel 600p Series SSD 512GB M.2 2280 SSDPEKKW512G7X1 Intel
- Intel SSD 540s Series 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s 480GB SSDSC2KW480H6X1 Intel
- Mushkin Reactor 1TB Mushkin
- SanDisk X400 SATA 2.5" 7mm SSD 1TB SD8SB8U-1T00-1122 SanDisk
- Kingston SSDNow V300 480GB Notebook Bundle Kit SV300S3N7A/480G Kingston
- Plextor M8Pe M.2 512GB PX-512M8PeG Plextor
- Intel 6000p Series SSD 512GB M.2 2280 SSDPEKKF512G7X1 Intel
- Intel SSD DC S3610 Series 200GB SSDSC2BX200G401 Intel
- Crucial 500GB BX100 2.5" CT500BX100SSD1 Crucial
- Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 1TB MZ-V6E1T0BW Samsung
- Samsung SSD 850 Evo 2TB MZ-75E2T0BW Samsung
- Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 500GB MZ-N5E500BW Samsung
- Samsung SSD 750 EVO Basic 500GB 2.5" Sata 6Gb/s MZ-750500BW Samsung
- Samsung SSD 850 EVO mSATA 1TB MZ-M5E1T0BW Samsung
- Samsung SSD 950 Pro M.2 512GB MZ-V5P512BW Samsung